Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Budget...

Oh dear.

As I said in the first post, we were planning on spending every last cent we had -- I didn't realize it would take more than that.

I think we went into this thing with realistic ideas of how much things cost.  Things like electricians, plumbers, etc.  After all is said and done, the house will be really pretty.  Big open kitchen, an additional bathroom upstairsWe may not have much left for furniture, but hey, that's what credit cards are for!  (just kidding - we'll put the mortgage and food on credit)

All kidding aside, there will have to be some prioritization.  Here's the budget in round numbers:


Permits not so much
Lead precautions not as much as I thought
Demo and jacking up house for foundation repair not as much as I thought
Debris hauling or drop box more than I thought
Demo both chimneys not as much as I thought
Footings didn't even know this was a thing
Foundation repair not as much as I thought
New masonary fireplace about as much as I thought
Framing a lot
Windows a shit ton
Siding repair and window installation about as much as I thought
Exterior doors not so much
Interior doors not so much
Plumbing work a lot more than I thought
Plumbing fixtures about as much as I thought
Electrical work a shit ton
Electrical fixtures not as much as I thought
Cabinets - kitchen & bathroom a shit ton
Tile - kitchen & bathroom more than I thought
Insulation not as much as I thought
Drywall a lot more than I thought
Hardwood floors more than I thought
Other Flooring more than I thought
Finish work- case doors, case windows, base board trim more than I thought
Finish work - built ins & closet storage more than I thought
HVAC work more than I thought
Door hardware not so much
Cabinet hardware not so much
Mirrors & shower doors  more than I thought

We may put off any windows that aren't truly necessary until next spring.  We're going to try and do the tiling, floors and whatever else we can ourselves.  This doesn't include a sweet deck... but that can wait until spring as well.

more to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment